Summer means fun outside for a lot of people. Recreational vehicles are a great way to enjoy the warmer weather, whether for a motorcycle ride, or going out on the water with friends on a boat and waterskiing. And while fun, all these activities involve risk. However, with the right recreational vehicle insurance coverage, you can gain a level of protection while having fun in the sun.
Do I Need To Buy Separate Insurance for My Recreational Vehicle?
Many people wrongly assume that their homeowners or auto insurance policy covers motorcycles, boats or watercraft. The only way to gain proper protection for these vehicles is with additional insurance coverage.
Recreational vehicle insurance is not a singular policy, but rather a term used to discuss a variety of policies for different types of recreational vehicles (e.g., boats, motorcycles, or personal watercrafts). Each policy covers different things, so you should talk with us to ensure you get the appropriate coverage for your recreational needs.
Some coverages you may want to carry for your recreational toys include:
· Collision insurance: Covers your vehicle if it’s damaged or lost due to a collision with another vehicle or object.
· Comprehensive insurance: Pays for vehicle damage from non-accident mishaps, like weather damage.
· Liability insurance: Insures you against damage you cause others if you are at fault in a wreck.
o Bodily injury liability coverage pays for their medical bills (and, in some cases, deaths)
o Property damage liability pays for damage to the other driver’s property.
· Medical coverage: Pays for your medical bills and those of your passengers.
· Uninsured/underinsured insurance: Insures you against damage caused by someone else who doesn’t have appropriate liability coverage.
Additional Coverage Can Be Useful
Depending on your recreational needs, you may benefit from supplemental coverage for added protection. These are a few additional coverages to consider:
· Emergency service: Pays for reasonable costs that you incur from specified emergency service to your boat, motor or boat trailer.
· Physical damage—This insures your boat, motor, boat trailer, boat equipment (anchors, oars, fuel tanks, life jackets, dinghies, tools, etc.) and other personal property against theft, accidental loss or damages.
· Reasonable repairs: Covers repairs incurred to protect your covered property from further damage.
· Umbrella liability: Provides additional coverage for home, auto, and boat across the board.
· Wreck removal: Pays reasonable expenses sustained for any attempted or actual raising, removal or destruction of your boat from an insured loss, and your wreck removal is required by law.
· Guest passenger liability insurance: This coverage steps in if a guest driver causes an accident while operating the motorcycle with the owner’s permission.
· MedPay: This insurance helps with medical expenses for the driver and their passengers in an accident, no matter who is at fault.
Other coverages that offer assistance include:
· Custom parts coverage
· Gap insurance
· Gear and accessories coverage
· Replacement cost coverage
· Roadside assistance
Whether you ride a street bike, cruiser, touring bike, or even a custom chopper, your motorcycle equals freedom and adventure. The proper motorcycle coverage ensures you are prepared for your summertime ride.
This coverage is typically for motorized personal watercraft (PWC) used for recreational sports, such as waterskiing, kneeboarding or tubing. These policies may also include water sports liability coverage, which covers:
· Bodily injury to yourself, another rider, or swimmer injured in your path
· Property damage to items, such as docks, other PWCs or boats
· Guest passenger liability
· Medical payments
· Theft of your PWC
Ensure Your Safety This Summer
Regardless of the type of recreational vehicle you plan to use this summer, safety is essential. You and your guests can have fond memories of your time spent outdoors by having the appropriate insurance policies.
The Elliott-Hartman Agency can ensure your safety with insurance coverage for you and your recreational vehicles this summer.